Frauenbad (1821)

34.5 degrees C

The Frauenbad (Ladies’ Bath) neo-classical bathing temple was built in 1821 after the plans of Charles Moreau and was reserved for the high aristocracy; the emperor also bathed here. It replaced the old bathing ensemble of the Frauen-und Neuquelle, which stood on both sides of the Marienkirche (= Church of Our Lady), which was demolished in 1812. The interior of the building was redesigned in 1878 and has been used as an exhibition hall since 1994. Since 2009 it has housed the Arnulf Rainer Museum.